The Orphan Sisters

Title: The Orphan Sisters
Author: Shirley Dickson
Genre: Historical fiction
Pages: 367
Forever ( Grand Central Publishing)
Jan 7,2020
Rating: 4.5

A heartbreaking, unputdownable and utterly unforgettable story of two young sisters cruelly abandoned by their mother at an orphanage. Fans of Wives of War, Lisa Wingate and Diney Costeloe will lose their hearts to this stunning World War Two novel.

1929: Four-year-old Etty and eight-year-old Dorothy are abandoned at Blakely Hall orphanage by their mother, never to see her again. With no other family to speak of, the sisters worship their beloved mam – confused and heartbroken to be deserted by her when they need her the most.

1940: Etty and Dorothy are finally released from the confines of Blakely Hall – but their freedom comes when the country is in the grip of World War Two and its terrors. Amidst a devastating backdrop of screaming air-raid sirens and cold nights huddled in shelters, the sisters are desperate to put their broken childhoods behind them.

But trouble lies ahead. Dorothy must bid goodbye to her beloved husband when he’s sent to war and Etty must nurse a broken heart as she falls in love with the one man she can never be with.

Etty and Dorothy survived the orphanage with the help of one another and neither sister can forget the awful betrayal of their mother, which has haunted them their whole lives. But when a shocking secret about their painful childhood comes to light, will the sisters ever be the same again?

My thoughts
Would I recommend it? Yes
Would I read more by this author? Yes
While I can understand why this might not before everyone, I actually enjoyed this story, and one of the reasons was it showed the story of family and how close the two sisters Etty and Dorothy was. As the story goes forth it shows what their lives was like from the time they was kids to the time they leave the orphanage and their lives doing the War. We see the highs  and the lows as well as the struggles they went though, and how the war effected everything and everyone around them not just them. We also get to meet other characters that are in their lives and see how they inter act with them. While its an emotional type read ,its a story that needs to be told and this author did it in a way that bright it to life. With that said I would love to say thank you to NetGalley as well as to Forever for letting me read it and review it as well as sending me a copy of it.