The Tattooist Of Auschwitz

Pages: 265
Haper
September 4, 2018
Rating:3.5
In April 1942, Lale Sokolov, a Slovakian Jew, is forcibly transported to the concentration camps at Auschwitz-Birkenau. When his captors discover that he speaks several languages, he is put to work as a Tätowierer (the German word for tattooist), tasked with permanently marking his fellow prisoners.

Imprisoned for more than two and a half years, Lale witnesses horrific atrocities and barbarism—but also incredible acts of bravery and compassion. Risking his own life, he uses his privileged position to exchange jewels and money from murdered Jews for food to keep his fellow prisoners alive.

One day in July 1942, Lale, prisoner 32407, comforts a trembling young woman waiting in line to have the number 34902 tattooed onto her arm. Her name is Gita, and in that first encounter, Lale vows to somehow survive the camp and marry her.

A vivid, harrowing, and ultimately hopeful re-creation of Lale Sokolov's experiences as the man who tattooed the arms of thousands of prisoners with what would become one of the most potent symbols of the Holocaust, The Tattooist of Auschwitz is also a testament to the endurance of love and humanity under the darkest possible conditions.

My thoughts
Would I recommend it?yes
Will I go on with the series? yes because I have the second book already to read thanks to Netgalley
Will I read more of this author? maybe
This one was kind of hard to get into and not because of the type book  it is, because I tend to read a lot of nonfiction and some of those have been about WW2 and the Holocaust, and this year I've read two other historical fiction books based on WW2 and was able to get lost in the stories , with this one it was the style of the author because it felt like even though she knew the people that this story is based on it felt like she was distconted from it and them, when you read a book about the Holocaust,  and the people who lived and died , no matter if its a nonfiction or a historical fiction you want to see the characters and their lives come to life before your very eyes , you want to feel what they felt , saw  and heard , you want to feel like your there with them , and this story at first didn't do that , it felt like the author was writing a movie script with the way the story lines change in the matter of a sentence, and the dialogue often seemed only what could be stage directions and that's all in the first few chapters but then the more you read it starts to change as well as the flow of the story , its like a hole new story  comes  to life, the characters finally start to come to life before  your eyes, and you start to feel their emotions as well as experiencing  their struggles .  And even though doing the first half of the book I had trouble with it , its still a very good book to read , you just have to keep reading and not get discourage with how it starts out .