Non fiction about Lizzie Borden

Netgalley EPUB date read : 12/14/18 rating: 4.5 stars comes out : March 12, 2019 Gener: Non fiction ( true crime) The Trial Of Lizzie Borden :Book review:The remarkable new account of an essential piece of American mythology—the trial of Lizzie Borden—based on twenty years of research and recently unearthed evidence.

The Trial of Lizzie Borden tells the true story of one of the most sensational murder trials in American history. When Andrew and Abby Borden were brutally hacked to death in Fall River, Massachusetts, in August 1892, the arrest of the couple’s younger daughter Lizzie turned the case into international news and her trial into a spectacle unparalleled in American history. Reporters flocked to the scene. Well-known columnists took up conspicuous seats in the courtroom. The defendant was relentlessly scrutinized for signs of guilt or innocence. Everyone—rich and poor, suffragists and social conservatives, legal scholars and laypeople—had an opinion about Lizzie Borden’s guilt or innocence. Was she a cold-blooded murderess or an unjustly persecuted lady? Did she or didn’t she?

The popular fascination with the Borden murders and its central enigmatic character has endured for more than one hundred years. Immortalized in rhyme, told and retold in every conceivable genre, the murders have secured a place in the American pantheon of mythic horror, but one typically wrenched from its historical moment. In contrast, Cara Robertson explores the stories Lizzie Borden’s culture wanted and expected to hear and how those stories influenced the debate inside and outside of the courtroom. Based on transcripts of the Borden legal proceedings, contemporary newspaper accounts, unpublished local accounts, and recently unearthed letters from Lizzie herself, The Trial of Lizzie Borden offers a window onto America in the Gilded Age, showcasing its most deeply held convictions and its most troubling social anxieties

My Thoughts
rating: 4.5
For a debut book as well as for the author , I'm glad that I picked this one to read , because I'm now looking foreword to see what else she writes about, while I knew a little bit about the case going into the story i didn't know a hole lot about it and that funny since i love to read true crime , and its ones of my top non fiction to read , i do have to say that the author brought the story to life , and made you think about why Lizzie did this , was she crazy , was it out of hatred to her father and step mother or was there something else going on that people just didn't see. Still a good book to read . With that said I want to say thank you to Netgalley for letting me read and review it in a change for my honest opinion.